Monday, October 13, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend Fishing

It's that time of year when we all stop to give thanks; family, friends, health and so forth are typically at the top of most people's lists.  Of course I'm thankful for all of that, but you also have to look at the smaller things as well.    For instance, a long weekend full of sun and ideal fishing conditions!    Compared to last weekend when I thought I'd come down with hypothermia at the sturgeon derby, this weekend has been great, and for that I'm certianly thankful!

Taking advantage of the long weekend and the weather, I was able to get both Fynn and Rowan out for fishing trips in my Old Town Predator 13 kayak.    I also got out at 6 AM Saturday morning for a solo fish at sturgeon alley.    Over the course of three trips and about 12 hours in the kayak, I didn't have as much to show as I'd hoped for in terms of fish landed, but I did get a few nice pics out of it!

Saturday I landed 2 sturgeon, 2 baby stripers and a couple of tommy cod.  Sunday with Fynn I landed a couple more sturgeon - one of which Fynn hauled up into the kayak, and Monday with Rowan I landed just a couple of pickerel.   Not great fishing by any means, but it's time out on the water with the kids and you don't need to catch anything to be thankful for times like that!

Thanks to the GoPro, here are a couple of nice pics from this past weekend!     Hope you like them!

 33 1/4 inch Atlantic Sturgeon

 Baby Striper.. one of many I've seen come out of the Kennebacasis this year!

I lost this 40+ inch sturgeon at the side of the kayak.  DOH! 
Check out the bend on the MH Signature series Denali Rod!

 
 Fynn waiting for a sturgeon.

 Fynn hauling a 34" sturgeon into the kayak.  Took him several tries to get hold of the tail.   Not many kayaks I'd be willing to attempt this in with a kid the size of Fynn!

 
 Rowan holding one of just 2 pickerel we caught out in Kingston Creek

Rowan and I trying to figure out where those pickerel are hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment